6/12: PDA’s: Luxury or Necessity?

June 12, 2009 by  
Filed under Featured, Mobile Devices, Science & Tech, Tech Box

Although most Americans say they own a cell phone, more than eight in ten residents are not on the PDA bandwagon.  In fact, just 16% report they own a personal digital assistant like a Blackberry, Palm, or iPhone.  The proportion grows, however, when looking at employed residents.  Nearly one-quarter of those with jobs say they carry this type of portable device.

©istockphoto.com/dovestudios

©istockphoto.com/dovestudios

And, while Americans who earn an annual salary of $50,000 or more a year are nearly eight times more likely to have purchased a PDA than those who earn less, employed residents are more likely to carry a PDA than are unemployed residents, regardless of income.  The proportion of employed residents who make less than $50,000 a year and who have a PDA is double the proportion of residents within this income bracket who are unemployed.  When moving up to a higher income level, employed residents who make between $50,000 annually and $99,999 are three times as likely as unemployed Americans within this income bracket to carry this type of device.  And, half of those who make $100,000 or more annually and who have a job carry a PDA.  This compares with 35% of those who make a similar amount and do not have a job.

Age is also a factor.  By a more than two-to-one margin, younger Americans are more likely to own a PDA.  26% of those younger than 45 years old fess up to owning a PDA compared with just 10% of those 45 and above.  Once again, employed residents in both of these age groups are more likely than are those who are unemployed to have a PDA.

Table: Own a PDA?

Table: Own a PDA/Age

Table: Own a PDA/Income

Marist Poll Methodology

Related Stories:

6/12: Cell Phone Nation

Related Links:

Text Is Cheap: Do Your Friends a Favor: Put Down the PDA and Talk to Them

Palm OS: I Remember When

How To Resurrect An Old PDA

Comments

4 Responses to “6/12: PDA’s: Luxury or Necessity?”

  1. Sales Engineer on July 19th, 2009 10:53 am

    [half of those who make $100,000 or more annually and who have a job carry a PDA. This compares with 35% of those who make a similar amount and do not have a job.]

    May one enquire how the 35% make $100,000 or more without a job?

  2. Robert Seviour on November 24th, 2009 7:47 am

    Necessity? For what? It would be interesting to see an analysis of what people use PDAs for. I imagine you would find Pareto’s principle at work here. ie only 20% of usage makes a contribution to what you are really trying to achieve and the other 80% is just fluff.

  3. John R. on July 5th, 2010 9:07 am

    Great Post ! I could not run my business without my Blackberry.

  4. Employment & Age Top Factors in Cell-Phone, PDA Use | Mobile Music Ads on August 30th, 2010 2:01 pm

    [...] However, cell phone – and especially PDA – ownership is higher among youth and also rises dramatically among those with jobs. A full 92% of employed Americans own a cell phone, while nearly one-fourth own a PDA.  Overall, those who are employed are more likely to carry a PDA than their unemployed counterparts, regardless of income, the survey found. [...]

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!